Sunday, September 11, 2011

Tabata!

I've sure been busy this week!  In fact, I worked out six days in a row...three out of the six days I did Tabata.  Don't know what Tabata is??  See below...

From Wikipedia:

Tabata Method

A popular regimen based on a 1996 study[2] uses 20 seconds of ultra-intense exercise (at an intensity of about 170% of VO2max) followed by 10 seconds of rest, repeated continuously for 4 minutes (8 cycles). In the original study, athletes using this method trained 4 times per week, plus another day of steady-state training, and obtained gains similar to a group of athletes who did steady state (70% VO2max) training 5 times per week. The steady state group had a higher VO2max at the end (from 52 to 57 ml/kg/min), but the Tabata group had started lower and gained more overall (from 48 to 55 ml/kg/min). Also, only the Tabata group had gained anaerobic capacity benefits.

Doesn't make sense?  Well basically Tabata is performing an exercise for 20 seconds on, then 10 seconds off - and doing that 8 times!  On Monday, Damir had us do Tabata in Bootcamp.  We each had a station we had to do - everything from cycling, to pushups, to plank rows, squats...I think the hardest one for me was the pushups - doing pushups using the Tabata protocol is killer - at least for me anyway.

Tuesday I opened my big mouth and told Kendra how much "fun" I had in Damir's class doing Tabata - so...of course she decided to teach a Tabata TRX class...it was insane...

Wednesday, my friend Lorainne and I headed to the YMCA and did a Muscle Works Class.  While I did enjoy the workout - to tell you the honest truth, I'm not a big fan of the instructor.  We both had a hard time understanding anything she was saying - and she lacked something big...enthusiasm!  I'm so used to Ben's charged up classes and the intensity and enthusiasm that he shows each and every time he instructs a class.  And boy do I miss it. 

Thursday I was back in Kendra's class and yup - you guessed it...we did Tabata again.  I thought for sure by the end of the class that I was either going to pass out or throw up or both...lol  I sure slept well that night!

Friday I took a much needed rest day...I went out after work with my co-workers and relaxed...it was great!

Saturday I was back at it and went to kickboxing.  My partner had to leave part way through the class, so I had Damir for the last half.  My hands and wrists are still sore from punching so hard...I think I will need to wrap my wrists and hands the next time for sure!

So...basically - I am back to my routine!  I'm back to working out 5-6 days a week minimum and it feels so good!  Today I was exhausted, but it felt good inside knowing that I have worked very hard.  The past couple of months have been kind of hard for me to find my groove again and get back into my workout routine - but I'm glad it's back! 

My nutrition has been better too...I still slipped up a little, but they were just little ones...nothing really overboard - besides...with all of of my workouts, I would have burnt that off in no time!

I feel good...and I'm happy... I'M BACK!

YES!!!






1 comment: