Sunday, April 17, 2011

My Obsession...The Scale...

Some people have obsessions...some obsess about food, others their hair or make up or what they will wear when they leave the house in the morning.

I have a different obsession...

My scale...

Ya I know - You are probably thinking...so what?  I obsess about my weight all the time!

But I seem to have taken it to an entirely new level in obsessiveness...

Almost two years ago, my therapist diagnosed me with an Adjustment Disorder with anxiety - which means, that I sometimes have a hard time adjusting to change - and I obsess and have some anxiety...most of this can be contributed to the sudden death of my mother and how I have dealt with it.  I have had some pretty huge changes in my life the past few months - from getting myself prepared for my lap-band surgery, to actually having it and adjusting for the first week post op - to losing the gym I belonged to and "safe haven" last month due to flooding.  

The result of this?  Weighing myself...and sometimes twice a day...

Now, I know this is totally self-defeating for me...and will hurt me in the long run - so why do I do it?!  I've thought about it for a while, and have come to this conclusion:  

It makes me feel good - it soothes my anxiety I am feeling at the time...it also helps to "keep me on track."  I want to be able to reach my weight loss goals...and feel if I don't keep on track ALL the time with my weight, I will lose track and then lose control.

Whatever my reasons for doing this, I know it's not healthy what I am doing, and I will be heading into self-destruct mode if I continue.  

So...my plan for myself this week:  I will do this in baby steps...I will only weigh myself ONCE a day...then slowly taper it off until I am only weighing myself once a week - the NORMAL way of doing it!  

I hope everyone has a great week!

No comments:

Post a Comment