Sunday, February 12, 2012

Happy Bandiversary to Me!!

Wow - can't believe it's already been a year since I've been banded.  It just feels like it was just yesterday, that I was sitting at the Peter Lougheed Hospital's Day Surgery Department, waiting to have my surgery.  I remember that day being very long.  Dr. Church was two hours behind, as he had an emergency appendectomy.  It was all worth the wait though, and then some.  

While I have learned a great deal about myself this past year, I have also learned a great deal about other people - I realized who was my real support and who wasn't.  While it was quite hurtful for me to realize this, I am glad I did.  I am so fortunate to have the friends and family that DO support me and want me to succeed.   

To date, just this year alone, I have lost 58 lbs.  This surpasses the expectations of my dietitians and surgeons who want us (in our Calgary Lap Band Group anyway ) to lose 52 pounds - which is the average of about 1-2 pounds a week.  But for me, the weight loss isn't as important as the awareness of proper eating that I have gained.  I now realize how important it is to chew my food slowly...to rest for at least a minute in between bites...to savour my food.  I have finally considered food as my "fuel" instead of just eating for the hell of it.  I would be lying if I said I ate well 100% of the time.  I don't.  But I don't eat nearly as much as I used to when I weighed 360 pounds - I'm not even close to it. 

I've also found a new love for cardio and I use my spin classes for that.  Because of my arthritic knees, I am unable to jog or even walk quickly now on the treadmill.  Spin class satisfies me.  It's great on my knees, and I get a great calorie burn.  My instructor Jill is phenomenal, and is so motivating.  In a nutshell, I love it.

I am so glad I made the decision to get the band.  There is never a day that goes by that I regret it.  While I realize the surgery isn't for everyone, it was for me. 

I also just realized something.  I need to update some photos...those are coming soon - hopefully next week!

Have a super great week everyone!

2 comments: